Monday, June 1, 2015

Notes: Rhode Island Dynamites

1 June 2015


Prep
  • I have never heard of this sandwich but came across it at cookscountry.com. It's like sloppy joe but with different seasonings.
  • The original recipe called for 2 pounds of ground beef and made 10 servings when served on torpedo rolls. I halved the recipe which would provide plenty of meals for the two of us, particularly when served on slider buns.
  • Because I halved the recipe I used a 4-quart sauce pan instead of a Dutch oven.
  • I made this on Saturday so we could eat it on Sunday after a day at the ball park.
  • I was afraid of the spiciness of the recipe so modified it, as suggested in the recipe notes. I used jarred sweet cherry peppers instead of jarred hot cherry peppers and I reduced the red pepper flakes, reduced them all the way to zero. So my version is probably not very explosive.

Eat
  • I wasn't hungry after getting back from the ball park on Sunday (where I had a fried chicken sandwich and a lot of peanuts) so we didn't eat this until Monday.
  • Served with white corn, potato chips, Bubbies bread and butter pickles, and lemonade or Vella Delicious Red so a very quick meal to put together, as desired. The only "cooking" was reheating the filling in the microwave and toasting some buns.
  • Without the hot pepper flakes and hot cherry peppers the sandwich was a little bland. 
  • As expected, given the ingredients (which included Italian seasoning, garlic, onion, tomato sauce, and tomato paste), the sandwich had an Italian flavor.
  • It took some searching at the supermarket to find the jarred sweet cherry peppers; I never did see jarred hot cherry peppers.
  • The filling was nice and tender; cooked ground beef can sometimes be rubbery. The raw ground beef was mixed with a solution of 1½ tablespoons water with ½ teaspoon baking soda for 15 minutes which contributed to the pleasant texture. I might try this trick when next I make Peg's Sloppy Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment