Thursday, September 8, 2022

Southwestern Layered Beef Casserole

 19 May 2022

Recipe from Cook's Country, April 2014



This review suffers from the distance between eating the food and writing about it. I don't remember how I discovered this recipe. I suspect I was tempted by it because I don't have many recipes like this and so I was happy to find it and to give it a try.


Rice was cooked in oil on the stovetop until it was deep golden brown. It was transferred to an 8x8 baking dish and canned tomatoes, with their juice, chicken broth, salt, and pepper were added. The skillet used to cook the rice was wiped clean and used to cook around beef with onion, bell pepper, salt, and pepper. Minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, and coriander were stirred into the beef and cooked until fragrant. Tomato sauce was added and cooked until slightly thickened. The beef mixture was spread over the rice. Pinto beans, shredded Monterey Jack cheese,  and corn were layered in the baking dish which was covered tightly with foil and baked for about an hour. The dish was garnished with thinly sliced green onions (should have been scallions) and served after a brief cooling period. Total time was about 2 hours. 


As I recall this was a good dish, though not great. It provided 4-5 meals for the two of us and kept well and was easy to reheat. Having forgotten the beans when assembling the casserole I added them to the top. I substituted canned diced tomatoes for the spicy, for us, Ro-Tel tomatoes in the recipe. This was a good decision as the casserole was spicy but not too spicy, with Ro-Tel it would have been too spicy for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment