Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Amish Cinnamon Bread

 25 October 2021

Recipe from Cook's Country, December 2018


It has been too long since I've updated my blog. It's not that I haven't been cooking or trying new recipes, I just haven't been writing about them. As a result, I have some catching up to do. I saw this recipe for Amish Cinnamon Bread, also called Friendship Bread, demonstrated on the Cook's Country TV show. Unlike other cinnamon breads this has cinnamon as part of the dough rather than just in swirls in the bread. It looked like something that I would like to have for breakfast.


This is a quick bread, i.e. it uses baking soda rather than yeast, there is no kneading or waiting for the dough to rise. Two loaf pans were prepared by spraying them with oil and coating this with cinnamon sugar. (The recipe says to brush on vegetable oil but the spray worked fine for me.) Flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt where whisked together in a large bowl. In a second bowl, milk, eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract where whisked together. The milk mixture was stirred into the flour mixture and poured into the two prepared loaf pans. The top of the loaves were sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. The loaves baked at 325° until a paring knife inserted in the center came out clean, about 75 minutes using 9 by 5-inch pans. Total time was just 95 minutes, not counting cooling.


This is great bread which I really enjoyed! It pleased my sweet tooth and had a crunchy crust from the cinnamon sugar. I ate it for breakfast plain with no butter, no toasting. It had a moist, slightly sweet, uniform crumb and was just as good after being frozen as it was before. 



No comments:

Post a Comment