Sunday, May 17, 2020

Recipe Notes: Make-ahead Mayonnaise

1 May 2020

Recipe from Cook's Illustrated, March 2020; recipe also available online


I don't eat mayonnaise, except occasionally on a BLT. Nonetheless I've long wanted to try my hand at making it myself. Diane does eat it, though more when she is working than when sheltering in place due to a pandemic. This recipe from a recent Cook's Illustrated is designed to create a mayonnaise that keeps well, so there is no good excuse to prevent me from learning how to make my own.


Water, egg yolks, and lemon juice (bottled) were stirred together. The mixture was microwaved, with frequent stirring, until its temperature is between 160° and 165°; in my case it was a little warmer. (This pasteurizes the eggs so the mayo will keep well.) Vegetable oil, salt, Dijon mustard, and sugar were whisked into the warm egg mixture then strained into the food processor. With the food processor running, vegetable oil was drizzled into the egg mixture. Adding 1¼ cups over the course of 2 minutes tests the cook's patience. The mixture is then scraped down, processed for another 5 second, and it's done. The entire process took about 20 minutes.


The mayo turned out very well. It looked like mayonnaise and Diane testified that it tasted like mayonnaise, too. It seems to be keeping well, though I don't think anyone has looked at it recently. I don't know that I would make it again, but if Diane likes it then I would be happy to do so. It was fun to make and interesting to see how a common ingredient, usually store-bought, can be made at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment