Monday, April 20, 2020

Recipe Notes: Easiest-ever biscuits

7 April 2020

Recipe from Cook's Illustrated, January 2019


So far as I can remember I have never made biscuits from scratch. I was vaguely aware there were different styles of biscuits and that they have something of a cult following among some people. But I had only had them made from a tube or with Bisquick for strawberry shortcake, which is how my mother served this dessert. Over a year ago Cook's Illustrated arrived with a recipe for a cream/drop biscuit that was touted as the easiest ever. (I appreciated how the article's description of the different ways to make biscuits.) I marked it as something to try and have just gotten around to it recently.


These biscuits were very easy to make and I have made them twice. A few dry ingredients—all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt—were whisked together in a bowl. Cream, which was warmed to 95-100°, was stirred into the dry ingredients until incorporated. The batter was dropped onto a baking sheet from a ⅓-cup measuring cup and baked at 450°. I halved the recipe, using 1 cup of cream which produced 5 biscuits. The first time I made these I baked them for 13 minutes, trying to match the color of the photos in the magazine article, but found these were overdone. This first batch was served with strawberries and whipped cream for dessert. The second time I made these I baked them for 11 minutes; they were paler but not overdone and were served as a side dish with soup. It took just 30 minutes to make the biscuits.


I can't say this recipe has turned me into a biscuit lover. They were okay but I don't think I am going to explore more biscuit recipes as a result of trying this method. It was certainly quick and easy and except for the cream used ordinary pantry ingredients. The biscuits were best when eaten warm, fresh from the oven, when they had a tender crumb and slightly crisp crust. They were not as good when reheated in the microwave to have with jam and butter for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment