Thursday, May 10, 2018

Recipe Notes: Potato-Dill Sandwich Bread

23 April 2018

Recipe from Bread Illustrated, America's Test Kitchen, 2016, p. 102


I generally have a sandwich for lunch so I have been trying different sandwich bread recipes from Bread Illustrated. I have found some recipes that I will use regularly (e.g. Japanese milk bread, anadama bread, light rye) and others that I will probably not return to (e.g. no knead brioche, American sandwich bread). Continuing this journey, I tried a recipe for potato-dill sandwich bread with hopes that the dill flavor would complement some of my favorite sandwich fillings.


The method for making this bread was reminiscent of the potato burger bun recipe that I use regularly for slider and hot dog buns. A russet potato was boiled, processed through a ricer, and mixed with butter. Once it had cooled it was added to a mixture of flour, yeast, and salt by hand, literally, you use your hand to mix the mashed potato with the flour mixture. Using a stand mixer, some of the potato cooking liquid was slowly added to the flour mixture then kneaded. Finally, minced fresh dill was added to the dough. This was left to rise until doubled, formed into a loaf, left to rise again, and then baked. The total time was four hours, much of it hands off.


The resulting bread is good, good for all sorts of sandwiches, though the crumb was a little chewy. I found the dill flavor to be very subtle and easily masked by the stronger flavors of the sandwich filling. Thus while this is a good bread I don't think it has a particular purpose or a unique character which would fill a niche in my sandwich universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment