Sunday, April 15, 2018

Recipe Notes: Chewy Chocolate Cookies

14 March 2018

Recipe from The Perfect Cookie, America's Test Kitchen, 2017, p. 51; also available online


I was flipping though my cookie cookbook and I came across another new recipe for a chocolate cookie. I figured I couldn't go wrong and it might turn out to be better than other recipes that I have tried (e.g. chocolate sugar cookies, chocolate chubbies) that have made very good cookies. Even if it wasn't better it still might be good enough to add to the chocolate cookie repertoire.


Making these cookies was straightforward. Dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt) were whisked together in a bowl. In a separate bowl dark corn syrup, egg white, and vanilla extract were mixed together. In a stand mixer, butter was beaten with a mixture of granulated and brown sugar until pale and fluffy. The corn syrup mixture was mixed followed by the flour mixture. Finally, ½-inch chunks of bittersweet chocolate were added to the dough. The dough was chilled in the refrigerator for 30 minutes then balls of dough (made with a #30 portion scoop) were rolled in granulated sugar and baked until the edges were just set. I got 21 cookies and it took 90 minutes from when I started to removing them from the oven.


These are very good cookies! They have crispy edges and chewy middles enhanced by the melted chunks of chocolate. They are not too sweet but they are very chocolatey.  These are definitely worth making again.


No comments:

Post a Comment