Monday, July 10, 2017

Recipe Notes: July 2017

6 July 2017
Mark Bittman's Brownies

Recipe from the How to Cook Everything


I have written about several brownie recipes. All have been good, all have been easy. When I learned about the seven-ingredient recipe by Mark Bittman, formerly of the New York Times, I thought it worth trying. I was happy to find the recipe is available on several web sites now that the Times has announced they are putting their recipes behind a paywall.


This recipe was quick and easy. The most time-consuming step was melting chocolate and butter together on the stove. This step could have even been shortened by using the microwave carefully to melt these ingredients. The remaining ingredients are simply stirred into the chocolate mixture which is then baked in an 8x8-inch pan for 20-30 minutes. I made a few modifications as I was cooking these brownies in rural New Zealand where some of the recipe ingredients are not available. Instead of unsweetened chocolate, 72% was used. Salted butter was used and salt was then omitted from the recipe. The brownies were baked in a convection oven using the fan (which, surprisingly, could not be turned off).


The resulting brownies were very good. They were chewy and gooey with good chocolate flavor. The edges were crisp and the center soft. Are they better than the other brownies I have made? That is hard to say as all have been good and all have been easy to make so you can't really go wrong. I would still like to try the recipe from Kopp's Canteen Restaurant in my home town of Chittenango, NY,  to see how it compares to those I have made, and to my memories. (But, alas, I don't have the recipe.) I look forward to trying some of the variations that Mark Bittman suggests for his brownies.

No comments:

Post a Comment