Friday, June 28, 2013

Pizza on the Barbie

June 2, 2013

 Menu
Grilled Pizza
Garden Salad
Vella Merlot



Recipe
Easy Grilled Pizza from Cook's Country

Grills were made to cook meat, at least that's what I thought for a long time. In recent years I've learned that grilled vegetables can be very good. I've not grilled much fruit, but I love grilled pineapple and with peach season here there may be more fruit on our grill soon. But I wouldn't have thought of cooking pizza on a grill until I read this recipe a few years ago. I was intrigued, saved the recipe to my collection, and finally got around to making it for Sunday Dinner.


The recipe says this is a quick meal to make and while it took me longer than the recipe predicted (it almost always does) I had dinner on the table less than an hour after starting to prepare. While the dough is made with yeast it doesn't have to rise, doing all of its rising on the grill. I modified some of the techniques from the recipe. I used a large spatula to move the pizzas around, this worked better than tongs. I also did not crisp the finished pizza on high heat when it was done. This was hardly necessary and skipping this step allowed me to cook two pizzas at a time on my three-burner grill. While we enjoyed the simple topping of cheese and chunky tomatoes we wish there had been more of it, perhaps 50% more, or perhaps a diced tomato product with smaller pieces of tomato.


This recipe produced a thin crust, crispy on the top and bottom with some chew in the middle. This was a very nice, simple meal. With a crispy fresh garden salad (red leaf lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, green bell pepper, grape tomatoes) and some red wine it was a winning combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment