Thursday, April 5, 2012

"Engaged in what?"


April 1, 2012
Mushroom & Bleu Filet Mignon
Classic Baked Potato
Grilled Asparagus


Filet Mignon, Center Cut
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Grilled Asparagus


Cabernet Sauvignon

It was a busy weekend with little time for planning a meal, shopping for ingredients, or cooking. We left home on Friday afternoon for Clovis and the California Creativity State Finals tournament, not returning until Sunday afternoon.

Besides, it was a special day. On April 1 in 1976 I was a graduate student at UC Irvine, Diane was an undergraduate, and we had been dating for several months. On this day we had lunch together at my on-campus apartment in Verano Place. Relaxing (no, that is not a euphemism) after our meal, I turned to her and, on the spur of the moment, asked, "wanna get married?" While I had been thinking about proposing and had even mentioned it some weeks earlier, the proposal wasn't planned and it had nothing to do with April Fool's Day. I was elated when she replied, "uh huh" which meant yes.

So while April 1 is not our wedding anniversary, it is the anniversary of a special day and we don't let it go by unnoticed. The busy weekend provided ample excuse for us to go out to dinner to celebrate. As Diane had mentioned steak several times recently, I suggested the Black Angus Steakhouse which we had not been to in some time.

As seems to happen more and more often,  we ordered very similar meals. Diane had  Mushroom & Bleu Filet Mignon with baked potato and grilled asparagus while I had Center Cut Filet Mignon with garlic mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus. We cleaned our plates.


Leftovers
The cassoulet was better left over than on the first night. We had enough for 2½ more dinners over the course of the following week.

1 comment:

  1. For some reason, I thought you were at a movie theater when you proposed and got your enthusiastic "uh-huh" response. Don't know how I get this stuff in my head.

    ReplyDelete