Monday, December 19, 2011

Blueberry boy bait

December 18, 2011
Bacon and vegetarian sausage
Fluffy scrambled eggs
Blueberry Boy Bait
Mimosa and Orange Juice
 
Weekend activities can take time away from meal preparation. Preparing breakfast for dinner is often a good option for such times as you can prepare a good meal with a minimum investment of time, although you always dirty more frying pans than with any other meal. Breakfast also provides vegetarian options for our daughter who is home for the holidays.

I have wanted to make Blueberry Boy Bait since first reading about it, if for no other reason than the marvelous name. It's a coffee cake submitted to the Pillsbury Bake-Off contest by a teen-age girl in 1954. The updated recipe from Cook's Country calls for 1 cup of either fresh or frozen blueberries. I was happy to find fresh berries, from Mexico, in our regular supermarket at a reasonable cost. The batter is mixed using a hand mixer -- why not a stand mixer, I don't know -- and it takes only about 15 minutes to get it to the oven. The finished cake was good, especially the berries and cinnamon/sugar topping. Diane thought there should be more blueberries, and I was disappointed that most of the berries sank to the bottom during baking rather than remaining dispersed through the cake.

I would normally not use a recipe for scrambled eggs, but in this case I did. They came out with a nice, fluffy texture but tasted bland. Mimosas were made with orange juice and a pink zinfandel champagne, which led to an odd color but still a good beverage for this meal.

I had been planning to serve homemade applesauce that we had in the fridge, too, but I forgot.



Recipes
Blueberry Boy Bait, The Complete American Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook, 2010, p. 435
Fluffy Scrambled Eggs, The Complete American Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook, 2010, p. 410




5 comments:

  1. A trick I learned for keeping blueberries suspended in muffins may work well here. Coat them lightly in flour before mixing them into the batter. Also I agree with mom, there can't be too many blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason it didn't work in this case. The recipe called for a flour coating. I imagine that the viscosity of the batter increases when as it heats up and that is when the berries sink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, that should be the viscosity decreases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to ask my smart cubemate what viscosity meant. She knew and it's now our word for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I came up as a big long number, hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete