Based on the recipe for Classic Lemonade from Cook's Illustrated and prepared for dinner on Sunday, July 1, 2012.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
1¼ cups sugar
5 cups cold water
- Halve the lemons through the poles
- Thinly slice the lemon halves into a large bowl
- Add sugar and mash with a potato masher to release the juice and form a syrup
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a medium bowl and strain the lemon/sugar mixture in small batches, pressing on the lemons to release as much of the juice as you can.
- Pour the juice into a pitcher and add water.
- Taste the lemonade and add sugar if needed.
|Halve the lemons through the stem and blossom end then slice.|
|Mash the lemons and sugar.|
|Strain the juice, add water and sugar to taste.|