Adapted from The Cook's Illustrated Cookbook, 2011, page 15, and appearing in Cook's Illustrated in May 1999. Prepared for dinner on Sunday, September 9, 2012.Makes about 3 cups.
Ingredients3 ripe avocados
1 garlic clove
2 tablespoons lime juice
¼ teaspoon table salt
1 small jalapeño chile (optional)
½ teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- Mince the cilantro to make ¼ cup minced cilantro.
- Mince a portion of the onion to make 2 tablespoons minced onion.
- Mince the garlic clove or crush it with a garlic press.
- If using, remove the stem, seeds, and ribs from the jalapeño and mince it.
- Scoop the flesh of 1 avocado into a medium bowl and use a fork to mash it lightly with cilantro, onion, japapeño (if using), garlic, cumin (if using), and salt.
- Remove the flesh from the other two avocados and cut it into cubes.
- Add the avocado cubes to the mashed avocado mixture.
- Sprinkle the avocados with the lime juice.
- Gently mix the cubes into the mashed avocado with a fork.
|You should have your ingredients ready to go before working with the avocados: lime juice, minced onion, minced garlic, minced cilantro.|
|Using a fork, mash together one ripe avocado with the minced vegetables.|
|After mashing, chucks of the other two avocados are added and gently mixed.|