Friday, November 13, 2020

Black and White Cookies

 23 October 2020

Recipe from The Perfect Cookie, America's Test Kitchen, 2017, p. 237; recipe also available online.



In Central New York (CNY), where I grew up, people are familiar with half-moon cookies. While similar in appearance, the two cookies are apparently different, though the similar appearance can lead to confusion. I didn't eat much of either growing up as my mom didn't make them and you could only get them from the little bakery in town, Lynch's. My youngest sibling remembers my mom making these regularly, though, and I did have one from a bakery at a family reunion. As a CNY, or NYC, classic, I had to try making them.



There are two phases to making these cookies: making the cookies and making/applying the glazes. Making the cookies was straightforward. Dry ingredients—AP flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt—were whisked together in a bowl. Sugar and butter were beaten in a stand mixer until fluffy. Eggs and vanilla were mixed in. The flour mixture was added in three additions alternating with the addition of sour cream. The dough was dropped onto sheet pans using a #16 disher (about ¼ cup) and baked. This produced 10 large cookies and took about 45 minutes. After the cookies cooled the glaze was made and applied, this took about an hour. The glaze was made by whisking confectioners' sugar with whole milk, corn syrup, vanilla, and salt. (Sifting the large amount of confectioners' sugar took some time and made a bit of a mess.) This was divided in half and Dutch-processed cocoa and milk were whisked into one half. Using an offset spatula, half of each cookie was covered with the vanilla glaze, on the flat side. These were refrigerated for 15 minutes to set the glaze, then the other half was covered with the chocolate glaze. 



I have been enjoying these cookies and will make them again. The glaze is little sweet for my taste but that isn't stopping me. The cookies are tender and cakey. They keep well in the freezer and at room temperature. I cut these large cookies in half when I have one so maybe next time I'll try making them smaller. Of course, I will need to try the CNY recipe for half-moon cookies, too. 

1 comment:

  1. Whenever I visit my Seattle or VA daughters, I take some of the Black and Whites for them from our local bakery here near NYC. Hopefully this is close and they can then make them at home!

    ReplyDelete