Thursday, April 16, 2020

Recipe Notes: Triple-Chocolate Cookies

13 April 2020

Recipe from America's Test Kitchen



I'd been wanting to make some chocolate cookies when a post appeared in a Facebook group about an ATK recipe for Triple Chocolate Cookies. I have made Triple Chocolate Cookies before using a recipe from Kitchen Trials and, of course, Chocolate Chubbies, which are a favorite of mine. But I was not familiar with this ATK recipe, which aired on the TV show in 2008, so I gave it a try.


Unsweetened chocolate, bittersweet chocolate chips, and butter were melted in a double boiler and set aside to cool slightly. Coffee powder (the recipe specified 2 teaspoons instant coffee, I used ½ teaspoon espresso powder) and vanilla extract were mixed together in a small bowl and the dry ingredients—flour (just ½ cup!), baking powder, and salt—were whisked together in a bowl. In a stand mixer, sugar and whole eggs were beaten for several minutes until light in color and thickened. The vanilla-coffee mixture was added followed by the chocolate mixture. The flour mixture and semisweet chocolate chips were folded into the batter which then rested for about 20 minutes to set up. Using a #60 scoop (about 1 tablespoon) the cookies were portioned onto baking sheets and baked for 12 minutes. This resulted in two batches or 49 cookies. The recipe indicated it makes 26 cookies using a heaping tablespoon of dough for each. Total time, including the rest time and both batches, was 1 hour 45 minutes.


These are very good cookies, well worth making again! They are rich, intensely chocolate, and chewy. The small size of the cookies is good, too: I eat two at a time for dessert, Diane thought one was the right number because they are so rich. They are still chewy even after sitting at room temperature for a few days. While very good I wonder if I should have baked them for 10 minutes instead of 12. During these shelter-in-place days due to the covid-19 pandemic I am not meeting with people to share these with, so I guess I'll have to eat them myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment